Historical Buildings

The Lowcountry of South Carolina is a treasure trove of historic buildings that form the background of the things that make the Lowcountry a special place to live. Historic buildings are considered “historic” for many reasons. It could represent the work of a renowned architect or craftsman. It could be the site of historical events or represent a historic architectural style. Most of the entries in this category are listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Coastal Structures Corporation has provided the knowledge and expertise for these projects.

Kingstree Railroad Depot

The Kingstree Railroad Depot is one of 48 properties listed on the National Historic Register as part of the Kingstree Historic District. It is a white stuccoed brick building built in 1905 by the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. This project included 9,500 Square Foot Historic Renovation of an Existing Depot Building & Restaurant. The Depot…

Read More →

Read More

Winyah Indigo Society Hall

The Winyah Indigo Society Hall built this hall to replace an earlier structure. It was designed by renowned architect E.B. White, who created many notable South Carolina structures. The building was built in 1853 to serve the society as a school, meeting place, and library. It was used as a hospital for Federal troops during…

Read More →

Read More

Winyah Indigo School and Auditorium

Significant as a design of the prominent Columbia, SC firm of Wilson, Sompayrac and Urquhart, the 1908 Winyah Indigo School was built as a single building school house by John Jefferson Cain, contractor, also of Columbia. The Auditorium was added in 1924 by David B. Hyer, an architect from Charleston. Listed as the Winyah Indigo…

Read More →

Read More

Kingstree Hardware Company

When this 16,765 square foot, three-story structure  was built in 1904, it was the Kingstree Hardware Company.  Today, it is known locally as the Old Belk Building and serves the Williamsburg County Department of Social Services. Renovation was completed in September 2015 at a cost of $1.85 million. Located on Hampton Avenue, it is one…

Read More →

Read More

Back to Top