Significant as a design of the prominent Columbia, SC firm of Wilson, Sompayrac and Urquhart, the 1908 Winyah Indigo School was built as a single building school house by John Jefferson Cain, contractor, also of Columbia. The Auditorium was added in 1924 by David B. Hyer, an architect from Charleston. Listed as the Winyah Indigo School, the building was placed on the historic register in 1988. The restoration by Coastal Structures was a joint venture between the private sector and the City government to recreate a 300 seat performing arts theater / public auditorium with a part of the building to be occupied by a private school and part repurposed as commercial office space. After all the seats were removed from the first floor of the auditorium, the original floors were sanded and restored, the windows re-glazed, the beautiful ceiling painted to restore it’s original specifications, and period lighting was re-hung. Several bas-relief panels original to the building were returned to their initial positions at the front and the rear of the auditorium. Renovation design by Tych and Walker Architects.
Tags: Historical Buildings